Season Opening – April 11
All three courts were full on the first full day of the 2023 season.
Sign-up doubles began on Apr 14 with 9 players enjoying the summer-like weather.
The membership drive is on, and a copy of the registration form is attached. Print out the form to sign it, and either scan it, or take a cell phone picture to return to email@example.com. Payment can be made by etransfer to the same email address, or contact myself, Eva Pyszczynska, or Teresa Spreitzer if you want to pay by another method. Our contact information is on the website. Currently 31 members have registered.
Keep your shoe tag from last year and you will receive a 2023 label to put on it. New members will be issued a shoe tag and label.
Pickleball Schedule 2023
The Municipality of Kincardine (MOK) has negotiated with the club to have pickleball on the tennis courts again. The town began selling pickleball passes ($45) last week. They expect to begin in May. Only players with pickleball passes are supposed to play on the courts.
There is no progress on obtaining a dedicated pickleball facility, because Community Services are preparing a Parks Master Plan which won’t be ready until the end of the year.
The 2023 arrangement is as follows:
- The schedule for pickleball is Tues, Thurs and Sat from 8:30 to 14:30h. Mon, and Wed from 6-8 PM. Pickleball players can’t be bumped during these times.
- Court 3 has two pickleball courts with painted lines.
- The pickleball equipment is stored in a box beside the tennis shed.
- Tennis Courts 1 and 2 are still available for tennis during these times.
- MOK is entirely responsible for the pickleball program, insurance, and equipment.
- Pickleball players are not tennis club members. Therefore, if pickleball players are on the courts outside of the above times, and there are no courts open, they have to yield to tennis club members, just like non-member tennis players. Therefore, it is a good idea to have your shoe tag with the 2023 label at the courts, in case you have to ask players to vacate a court.
The pickleball schedule was chosen to disrupt tennis as little as possible, based on past playing patterns. The website will display the pickleball schedule. Please provide any feedback to the Executive you have regarding the pickleball sessions you encounter.
The courts appear to have weathered the winter well. A net post on Court 3 was returned and sealed after being removed last fall.
The benches will return to the courts in May. The tables, and windscreens will be installed in May. Umbrellas will not be used this year.
Sign-up doubles will remain on Mon, Wed, and Fri from 10:00 to 11:30 AM. Jerry Dvorak has agreed to continue to coordinate this group. Email Jerry at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the group.
Drop-in doubles from 6-8 PM won’t begin until May 2 when the weather warms up. Drop-in doubles will be on Thursday nights, if the Tuesday session is rained out. Drop-in doubles works just like it sounds, just drop in and you will be paired with different partners to play as long as you want.
This year, group beginner tennis lessons for club members are available from a Tennis Professional Association certified instructor. The cost is $30.
Adult lessons have filled up so far. You will be notified of the details at a later date. The lessons begin on July 3rd for one hour per week, for 6 weeks.
Only two Juniors have signed up. Call or email me if you know of any Juniors that are interested in lessons.
Please note that there is now a Kincardine Tennis Club Facebook Group. You are welcome to join if you use Facebook. The goal of the group is to promote increased communication to Club members. The website will still be maintained.
The last week was a teaser for what summer tennis will be like. I hope you had a chance to begin your season early.
Call or email me if you have any questions or comments.